Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Catching up...

So the funny thing about life is as soon as you make a commitment to something, many many more things come along to try and upset that life balance. Unfortunately, this baby of a blog has suffered greatly in place of life and everything else that entails. However, the eating most definitely does not stop.

Sunday, 18 March - Thai Culture & Food Festival
Being, of course, the "secret foodie", I try and exercise some discretion by hiding from friends and family the true extent of my foodie craziness. I love food festivals with a passion and after an unfortunate incident several years ago involving triple chocolate brownie samples, mexican hot chocolate and make-your-own-s'mores... well, let's just say I'd like to keep what reputation I have intact.
Thus on a beautiful Sunday morning, I found myself wandering down Swanston Street and into Fed Square (after telling my housies that I, um, had to visit the library. It's important. Really.)

The disadvantages of attending such festivals yourself, of course, is that there is nobody to remind you to take photos. It was only after I'd wolfed down a vegetarian Pad Thai that I remembered the camera in my bag. Doy. While eating my dessert, however, I did manage to befriend a pair of Irish backpackers who were extremely interested in a) why I was alone at the festival and b) why I was taking photos of my dessert. After informing them what this foodie business was all about, they asked me to blog about the 'thai taster' box of goodies they were each chowing down, which looked delicious in their wonderfully greasiness. Steve particularly enjoyed the chicken satay and curry puff while Dave was more partial to the fish cake. The box also included a pork spring roll and golden bag (which looked just like a deep-friend dumpling). The boys informed me that it was a bargain at $7 for 5 samples of different entrees. The stall included a vegetarian option - which sounds more delicious to me. Mmmm.

This interesting dessert was simply labelled "Black Cake". That would probably put off most people, but my Asian heritage has left me with an inherent curiosity for most random asian things (I do draw the line at chicken feet. And abalone. And shark fin... Let's just play this one by ear). It did look gloriously gelatinous and I do so love anything gelatinous. The cake itself was quite sweet, topped with some salted coconut shreds and came with a satchet of black sesame seeds to sprinkle on top. The sweet and salty mix was very interesting, and coupled with the texture of the cake, made for a wondeful end to the meal.

I was intruiged by a roti with condensed milk as a dip, so I bought one to use up the rest of my money tokens. Unfortunately, the girl informed me, they didn't have condensed milk. Hmmm. Odd, considering that was half of the dish they were selling.. but no matter. I took my roti and went and ate it down at the shore of the Yarra watching rowers go by. And although it was slightly cold(er than I usually eat roti's), it was wonderfully flaky and chewy at the same time. Mmmm.

I
HATED that I missed the following week's International Flour Festival and Wicked Sunday -- they were the ones I was looking forward to the most of the entire festival. Unfortunately the entirety of the weekend was taken up by an assignment (which I procrastinated on until Monday morning, when it was due that afternoon anyway, so I might as well have went..). I did wander on down as far as Lonsdale Street and popped into the Greek Festival, but was severely disappointed by the atmosphere. There was practically nobody there, the mechanical rides had nobody on there, barely any 'cultural' stands were up. Hell, the only food stalls I could see were two souvlaki stands and a 'hot food' truck, but that was about it. I couldn't even bring myself to buy a souvlaki (also because I had no cash at that particular point in time). It was sad.

Since I've been practically living in the library for the past two weeks or so, I haven't done anything else much food-wise. Most notable mentions have been a randomly thrown together thai green curry (made with green curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, onion, capsicum, carrot, mushroom, potato and tofu) and also a rather delicious roasted pumpkin I had at
Thresherman's Bakehouse one night.

I promise from now on, I will blog regularly
and photo-document my eating. And now to find some dessert..

1 comment:

thanh7580 said...

Hi Mel, firstly welcome to the food blogosphere.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with going to festivals yourself. I do it. Its easier sometimes as you know what you want to do and you don't have to wait on people. I also always forget to take photos. I usually finish my food before thinking, "Oh, what's this camera around my shoulder doing."

Wasn't the Greek festival disappointing. There was absolutely nothing there to do or eat.